JJ's Offers Unusual Ways to Top Your Dog
It’s national hot dog day (duh), so it’s time to try something new.
Here are the 10 most outrageous toppings, as compiled by JJ’s Red Hots, a small hot dog chain out of Charlotte, North Carolina, and based on sales data, guest feedback and social media impact in order of popularity.
1. Mac & Cheese, featured on the Mac Daddy.
2. Sweet Potato Hash featured on the Yam I Am.
3. Peanut Butter featured on the Weiner the Pooh.
4. Scrambled Eggs featured on the Britney Cason’s Breakfast Dog.
5. Smoked Jalapeno Ketchup featured on the Put That in Pour Pipe.
6. Pineapple Salsa featured on the Maui Gold.
7. Sage and Andouille Stuffing featured on the Franksgiving.
8. Smoked Amber BBQ Sauce featured ont eh Beer B Q.
9. Jalapeno Corn Salsas featured on the Maized and Confused.
10. House-made Pimento Cheese featured on The Big Cheesy.
We think the hot-dog names sound as good as the toppings, and although JJ’s doesn’t franchise, we think any franchisor could learn from the marketing and social media chops the fledgling chain displays. JJ’s tracks guest reaction to each Hot Dog of the Week on the brand’s social media channels and evaluates guest submissions for Dog of the Week. The scrambled egg hot dog, for example, made it into USA Today.
“We started with really simple ideas, but as things began to steamroll we got more adventurous, and our guests responded, which is obviously very important,” said owner and founder Jonathan Luther.