Arby’s+Turkey Legs+'Game of Thrones'
I thought it was only my personal life affected by avoiding "Game of Thrones," but now with Arby’s latest announcement, it is clear this gory and drama-laced show has become required viewing to fit in with contemporary society, like the Soprano’s finale, “Who Shot J.R.?” and every episode of "Unsolved Mysteries."
So what am I talking about here? Zooming out, the ongoing marketing wars in franchised restaurants, where everybody from KFC to Carl’s Jr. has new, fresh, attention-getting plans for attracting media coverage. And here we are.
In specific, Arby’s is capitalizing on the national obsession du jour, HBO’s "Game of Thrones" series, with a new Smoked Turkey Leg that’s available in nine regions “throughout our kingdom” starting this Sunday. Sunday, also known as the evening my fiancee disappears into the basement. (Is he eating turkey legs down there?)
Starting this Sunday, August 27, this slow-roasted Smoked Turkey Leg that sounds quite delicious will hit the menu boards in the following markets. I’ve included the official marketing speak for your pleasure.
- Fargo, ND: a frigid land in the north with ruthless winters and relentless snowfall. (1117 38th St NW – Fargo, ND 58102)
- Los Angeles, CA: a western land known for its bountiful amount of gold and riches. (347 East Main St. – Alhambra, CA 91801)
- Seattle/Redmond, WA: a land of storms, savaged by heavy rain and wind, with a coast of deep blue water. (15115 NE 24th St. – Redmond, WA 98052)
- Norfolk, VA: a land of ships and sailors surrounded by giant vessels forged from iron. (730 East Little Creek Rd. – Norfolk, VA 23518)
- Pittsburgh, PA: a land of powerful rivers, defined by the trident of the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio. (4810 McKnight Rd. – Pittsburgh, PA 15237)
- Phoenix, AZ: a land of sand and sun, known for its harsh desert climate. (2402 West Thomas Rd. – Phoenix, AZ 85015)
- Denver, CO: a land of treacherous mountains divided by fertile river valleys with an abundance of stones. (1480 South Colorado Blvd. – Denver, CO 80222)
- Omaha, NE: a land of fertile farms that provides many of the crops that feed the country. (8429 West Center Rd. – Omaha, NE 68124)
- Atlanta, GA: a land where the crown jewel of the Arby’s family, our headquarters, resides. (4415 Roswell Rd. – Atlanta, GA 30342)
As an occasional hater’s final sidebar, let me add that this seems like a great idea as Renaissance Fairs are ramping up across the country. Run down to Arby’s—or take your horse—and skip putting yourself through the dust, lines and questionable people watching that’s included for free.
Sources are telling me you can also take a dragon through the drive-thru.